Sunday, November 9, 2008

How aware are we?

[ image source here ]

Know what really irks me? Gets my goat? Fries my french fries in saturated fats?

Pink.

Now, please don't misunderstand me. I am a huge believer in the importance of raising the public's awareness/donating to fund research/everything that goes into the prevention, detection, and treatment of breast cancer. I can "get" the pink water bottles, the pink velour sweat pants, the pink kitchenaid mixers (no way, shortcake, put the registry gun DO-OWN). However, the overwhelming pinkness of October just seems to be one pink fondue set short of commercialization without a purpose. Example? The other day, while shopping at a large chain store, I heard the following announcement of the P.A. system:

" Come to the cafeteria and help support breast cancer! Buy a BBQ pulled pork sandwich and one dollar goes to help the fight against breast cancer!"

[ image source here ]

Pulled pork, indeed. If the links between obesity, diet and cancer are true [more info available here]; isn't this ad a little counterintuitive?

You have to wonder...Who does the pulled pork money help most? Those in cancer ward or those in the board room?

I am optimistic though. While we may never fully cure cancer, people are living much longer and early identification programs are working extremely well, especially with breast cancer. I just wonder how many pulled pork sandwiches it will take? ; )

What do you think the best way to promote and support/help out in the fight against cancer?

No comments: