Friday, August 15, 2008

I Wish I Could Eat Like Michael Phelps

Pic found here

Well, it looks like I have found my new role model..Michael Phelps! And not because he has the most Olympic gold medals of any athlete ever. Not because he has a multi million dollar contract with Speedo (although a lifetime supply of Speedos would be nice[if my fiance were editor, I am sure she would disagree and say that a lifetime supply of Speedos would no be nice!]), or that he has a sweet Escalade with an XBOX 360. No, it is because he gets to eat upwards of 12, 000 calories a day! Not the recommended 2000 with an emphasis on 5-12 servings of fruits and vegetables or 5-10 servings of whole grain products. I am talking 12,000 calories of white bread, pasta, pizza, mayo, energy drinks, and whatever else he can probably get his hands on. Needless to say in order to be able to take in this amount of grub on a daily basis you not only have to train like a top tier, world class athlete and that involves non-stop training. Although I have heard that Phelps has not been much of a weight trainer and all his results come from simply being in the pool (or perhaps there is some tuna fish in his gene pool), a great rarity nowadays in these days of stringent sports all around training protocols. But I digress (or should say digest) by looking at such a fantastic athlete, who basically just throws whatever he can down his gullet; it begs the question...what is more important 1)super intense training with ridiculous caloric intake that has no regard for nutrient density (although he did claim to take a multi-vitamin) or 2) Intense training with a carefully planned diet that may have fewer calories but more nutrients/calorie? I think that the results speak for themselves.

source of image

No comments: