Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Slurpees? Really? That's Cool...

(image source here)

So I am happy to say that I live in the Slurpee capital of the world...Winnipeg.  Not that I have anything against this place (I love sunshine! And having snow for 6 months out of the year makes for a good healthy dose of reality).

I remember my friend telling me "hey man, Winnipeg, Slurpee capital of the world!" and saying "oh, that's cool, hah" and then thinking nothing of it.  But then I started noticing how much of this nuclear sweet goo my fellow Winnipeggers were actually drinking.  I would be walking home from a long day at school in the middle of January, wearing two pairs of pants, toque, two pairs of gloves, three shirts and a winter coat ( as a minimum, but I digress), then, I would see some high-schooler walking by me holding a giant ice cold slurpee in his bare hands!  Now, perhaps I'm just a big wuss when it comes to temperatures lower than minus forty degrees (celcius), but seriously, talk about dedication!  This city takes a large amount of pride in this triumph...and I wish them well. 

Unfortunately, the percentage of Manitobans who are over weight or obese is among the highest in Canada and a trip to any local mall will prove that they seem bent on catching up to our neighbours down south.  Coincidence? I think not.

1 comment:

sweetartist said...

Wow! As a dental assistant, and huge supporter of a proper diet for overall health and oral hygiene, I can say that is thoroughly disgusting! Slurpees are one of the most horribly un-nutritious and bad-for-you drinks possible! Do not succumb to their bright colours and fruity flavours! Your teeth and body will thank you.